Sunday 21 August 2011

Children of Kibera slums

Day 2


The night before, I was up all night researching on the largest slum in Nairobi, and found a popular destination to photograph in an over populated town of Kibera. 


I walked down to security at my hostel and asked if I could hire one of them for the day. Coincidentally to find out that my security was from the region, I was happy to meet with him in the morning.


Bright and early....again, I got in a taxi and drove down to Kibera, photographing the conditions and how the children cope,  no clean drinking water, no electricity, no roads, it was outstanding how these people survive on a day to day bases. The families and children were so welcoming with three basic words of  "How are you , How are you , How are you". They can spot tourists from miles away. 


Underprivileged children roam the streets of Kibera which is located in southwestern part of Nairobi, roughly 5 kilometres from the city centre.


Kibera is the largest slum in Nairobi, and the second largest urban slum in Africa. 
The neighbourhood is divided into a number of villages. 


Conditions in Kibera are extremely poor, and most of its residents lack access to basic services. Most education centres in Kibera are classified as informal. Some start as baby-care centres, which later develop into schools. 

















No comments:

Post a Comment